My family loves baking, especially during the holiday season. One of our go-to recipes around Thanksgiving and Christmas is molasses cookies! This tried and true recipe has been passed down through generations, from my grandma to my mom and now to my sister and me. It’s also Anders’ favorite cookie recipe that I bake – the deep, caramelized sugar cane syrup and warm spices remind him of gingerbread cookies, but these cookies are chewy with a sugary edge (not crispy like your typical gingersnaps)!
I had a hard time finding molasses here in Copenhagen (if you know where to find some, please let me know!), but I was able to order molasses online from My American Market. They also sell other hard-to-find specialties like canned pumpkin. If you absolutely cannot find molasses, you can try substituting with another dark syrup, maple syrup, or honey – but I haven’t tried the recipe with any of these substitutes myself, so I don’t know how it will taste!
Looking for more recipes? Try Kaitlin’s Buttermilk Pancakes!
- 1 cup sugar (+ ½ cup more for rolling dough later!)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup flour
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, baking soda, flour, cloves, ginger, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add oil, egg, and molasses. Mix well.
- Chill dough in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Roll dough into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls.
- Roll balls in remaining sugar and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool before serving.
If you don’t want to bake all the cookies at once, the dough can keep in the freezer for a month. Just remove it from the freezer a few hours before you want to bake more. 🙂
Did you try our molasses cookie recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know how it went, or share a photo and tag us on Instagram!
Follow Us on Social Media YouTube Anders Husa & Kaitlin Orr Instagram @andershusa @carnivorr Facebook Anders Husa & Kaitlin Orr Join Our Food Community The HungriesBecome a Patron!