Experience the best of Austria on our exclusive food and winery tour, showing you all of our favorite wineries and restaurants in the country. Ten lucky guests will get to join us for a long weekend of eating and drinking adventures in harvest season, feasting on lots of Wiener schnitzel and sipping and swirling all of the wine. We’ll travel around Austria together, from Vienna, to Kamptal, to Burgenland, staying at luxurious hotels and eating at all the best restaurants along the way. We’ll have winery tastings and vineyard tours at three of our all-time favorite wine producers: Loimer, Gut Oggau, and Heinrich. If you love these wines as much as we do, you’re in for a treat. There’s something truly magical about visiting them in person and seeing the entire process from the grape to the glass. If you have yet to get to know these producers, get ready! You’re about to fall head over heels in love with these amazing Austrian winemakers. This will be a trip to remember!
Note: Spots on this food tour are reserved exclusively for members of our food community, The Hungries. Click here to join the club.
Thursday, September 7th
From 3:00pm: Check in to Hotel Motto.
Relax, recharge, and get ready for an unforgettable weekend! Hotel Motto is a boutique hotel in the heart of Vienna, with Parisian and Scandinavian design elements. The charming property has a rooftop bar, a restaurant, a fitness center, and a spa with sauna and steam baths. Every guest has their own CHIC room with a king-size bed, a lounge area, and a private bathroom with luxurious amenities and a walk-in rain shower.
8:00pm: Dinner at Glacis Beisl.
Our first dinner of the food tour will be at Glacis Beisl, one of our all-time favorite restaurants in Vienna. We’ll enjoy Austrian classics like Wiener schnitzel (fried Viennese veal cutlet) and pieroggi (dumplings with potato, roasted onions, and sour cream) alongside juicy natural wines from Austria.
Friday, September 8th
10:30am: Winery Visit and Tasting – Loimer.
We’ll kick off our wine tasting adventures in the beautiful Kamptal region, an hour outside of Vienna. Fred Loimer first began experimenting with natural wine in 2003. While he is perhaps most famous for his Grüner Veltiners, Loimer also makes delicious, bone dry Rieslings. Our favorite of his wines are the ones from his “mit Achtung!” (with attention!) series, which are the most natural in style, unfiltered, and with lots of skin contact. We also love all of his bubbles – from the fresh and floral Gelber Muskateller pet nat, to the foamy, pale pink Brut Rosé, to the toasty, creamy Langenlois Blanc de Blancs.
1:00pm: Lunch at Loimer Winery.
We’ll need some food after all that wine! And luckily, we won’t need to go far. Local chef Karl Schwillinsky is coming to the winery to prepare a special feast just for us. We hope you’re hungry!
3:00pm: Check in to Loisium Wine & Spa Resort Langenlois.
After lunch, we’ll check in to the beautiful Loisium Langenlois Wine and Spa Hotel, where we’ll spend the night. The striking, geometric building is nestled right in the middle of the vineyards; in fact, the balconies of the hotel rooms overlook the rows and rows of vines. The Loisium sports a heated pool, a natural bathing pond, a fitness center, a wine cellar, and a spa with saunas, steam rooms, and wine-themed massage treatments that include a glass of wine. The perfect way to relax in between meals!
6:30pm: Dinner at Esslokal.
For dinner, we’re taking you to one of our favorite restaurants in Austria: Esslokal. This is a cozy little bistro with an extremely high-level of cooking. Chef Roland Huber worked at fine dining restaurants in Vienna before deciding to open his own casual restaurant near his hometown. Unlike the schnitzel-focused eateries in the rest of the region, Esslokal (“eating locale”) serves modern dishes, lots of which play with Asian spices and seasoning. To drink, we’ll enjoy a specially curated wine pairing, featuring wines from Loimer.
Saturday, September 9th
11:00am: Winery Visit and Tasting – Gut Oggau.
The characters of Gut Oggau are like family to us, so join us in Burgenland for a family reunion! All your favorite family members will be there: Winifred, Theodora, Atanasius, Timotheus, Emmeram… the whole gang! Owners Stephanie and Eduard will take us on a tour of the winery – we’ll get to see some of the production, go out into the vineyards, and, of course, taste lots of wines. Come thirsty!
1:30pm: Tavern Lunch at Gut Oggau.
We’ll continue our day at Gut Oggau with lunch in their tavern. Think crudité, cheese and charcuterie, local veggies, sausages, and more. We’ll enjoy all the Austrian food in the beautiful courtyard.
3:30pm: Check in to Taubenkobel.
We’re keeping it in the family, and staying the night at Taubenkobel, a hotel owned by Barbara Eselböck (the sister of Stephanie from Gut Oggau). This quirky boutique hotel is unlike any other hotel in the world. Each suite has its own personality, complete with eye-catching art installations and vinyl record players. Care for a dip? Feel free to jump into the swimming pond before dinner!
7:30pm: Dinner at Taubenkobel.
Restaurant Taubenkobel used to have two Michelin stars before the French guide discontinued their Austria edition in 2009 (and focused only on Vienna and Salzburg). Now, this gourmet restaurant has become more of a hidden gem for destination diners. French chef Alain Weissgerber and his wife (and restaurant manager) Barbara Eselböck run the restaurant along with the hotel. The menu features organically grown vegetables from farmers of the region, wild herbs and plants gathered in the meadows around the lake, and local wildlife. All served alongside natural wines, of course!
Sunday, September 10th
10am: Winery Visit and Tasting – Heinrich.
The last stop on our wine safari is Hungries favorite, Heinrich! Gernot Heinrich started his own winery in 1990, and he and his wife Heike have been working biodynamically since 2006. The goal at Heinrich is to be sustainable and environmentally friendly at every opportunity. Most of our favorite wines from Heinrich are part of the Freyheit series. Freyheit means “freedom” in German, so naturally the wines in this series are completely free of sulfites and free of filtration. Our top two are the Traminer Roter Freyheit (a super floral, fresh, and aromatic skin contact orange) and the Pinot Freyheit (a light and elegant, juicy and tart Pinot with a lingering salty aftertaste). But don’t take our word for it – come try them for yourselves!
2:00pm: Farewell lunch at Heimlich Wirt.
While in Göls, a meal at the restaurant Heimlich Wirt is a must. They are usually closed on Sundays, but we’ve booked the entire restaurant exclusively for The Hungries! Peter Heimlich Müller worked as a sommelier at Taubenkobel before he decided to open his own place. There are no trained chefs here, just three waiters making food from scratch, with love. Müller is preparing a special tasting menu for us, with matching wines. We’ll be sure to send you off with a full belly!
3:30pm: Transfer to Vienna Airport.
Auf wiedersehen! We’ll drop you off at the airport after a wonderful long weekend together. (Don’t forget to leave space in your luggage for all the wine you want to bring home!)
PRICE: 24990 DKK
SPOTS AVAILABLE: 10
- All food and wine at each restaurant (set menus with matching wine pairings).
- Wine tastings and tours with the winemakers at each winery.
- All hotels on this itinerary.
- Transportation between the restaurants and wineries on the tour. We’ve rented a Thirsties party bus and a driver to transport us around Austria. Sip back and relax, and don’t worry about driving!
- Photos from the trip. Document as much as you want on your own phones and cameras, but rest assured that Anders will act as the group’s personal photographer for the weekend – so you can leave the camera at home if you’d prefer to live in the moment. At the end of the tour, we’ll give you access to a digital folder of photos from the weekend. Click here to see selected photos and a recap of our Best of Copenhagen food tour.
- Flights to and from Austria.
- Transportation from the airport to the Vienna hotel.
- Other beverages you order in addition to what’s included.
- Travel insurance.
- Incidental expenses.
The Fine Print:
- By purchasing tickets to our tours, you accept our cancellation policy and terms & conditions.
- All our food tours are exclusively for VIP members of The Hungries. To purchase tickets to tours, make sure to join the club first at a VIP level. If you purchase a ticket without a membership, refunds may not be possible.
- Right now, Austria’s borders are open to all travelers regardless of vaccination. However, we advise you to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and bring proof of vaccination, in case of restrictions in Austria at the time of the trip. You also may need to present a negative test to your airline before traveling. Please read up on the current travel restrictions and requirements before booking your trip. We can not take responsibility if you are denied entry into the country.
- The price of this trip is calculated for two guests to share a room at the hotel. If you are traveling solo and prefer a single room, an additional fee will apply.
- We recommend contacting your insurance company for travel cancellation insurance.
- We are not responsible for any incidental expenses that may occur, or for any costs outside of what is highlighted in this itinerary.